When your baby is 1 week old, and she has her 1st MRI and the results aren’t what you thought you would ever hear, let alone something you never want to hear……Veronika has an injury to her brain from the bleed she had before she was born, and we believe that it will affect her movement down the left side of her body, and she will most likely never walk….

I guess at that point in you make a decision, one of two possible options i guess. You either think ‘oh well, if that’s how its gonna be, why bother,’ OR ‘Yes she will walk, and we will come back in when she does and say I TOLD YOU SO’.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

National Disability Insurance Scheme

This morning I got a call I had been expecting for a couple of days. It was from Michelle at The Mercury, our local newspaper. They were wanting to interview/chat to me about the National Disability Insurance Scheme(NDIS). I am hoping that I successfully managed to get my point across, that I don't want a pity party for Veronika and our Fanily. All I want is for society to be accepting of people with disabilities, and for our family to be able to access everything possible so Veronika can reach her full potential. Financially if the NDIS goes ahead then hopefully we will have the opportunity to access all the services and equipment that we need for her, and that will take a huge financial burden off our family. It would be awesome if Australia could get to the place that every disabled person has access to what they need, without all the forms, red tape and questioning. I guess all any mother wants for her children is to reach their potential, I know that's what I want for my three, Jordan, Jakob and Veronika.
I must admit that Jakob made us all have a good laugh at the interview. When the photographer was taking the photos, Jakob went and got his iPod and asked her to take a photo on that. he then asked her for her email, so he could email the pic off the iPod to her to use in the Paper. Was rather funny, she did give him her email.....so will wait to see which pic she does use! Will be interesting to see tomorrows paper and see how my opinion comes across.....

No comments:

Post a Comment