When your baby is 1 week old, and she has her 1st MRI and the results aren’t what you thought you would ever hear, let alone something you never want to hear……Veronika has an injury to her brain from the bleed she had before she was born, and we believe that it will affect her movement down the left side of her body, and she will most likely never walk….

I guess at that point in you make a decision, one of two possible options i guess. You either think ‘oh well, if that’s how its gonna be, why bother,’ OR ‘Yes she will walk, and we will come back in when she does and say I TOLD YOU SO’.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Coffee and a Biscuit......

Today Veronika and I had a few minutes to spare in between taking Jordan and Jakob to school, and when MyTime(Support group we go to for families with preschool age children who have a disability) started. So we went into my work so I could get a coffee. I ordered Veronika her babycino, yes I know she isn't meant to have dairy, but I am lactose intolerant so I have soy coffee, and she cant have the foam off the top of mine because soy milk constipates her!

We went over to the wait for our coffees and Kelly asked Veronika what she was going to have. I have been teaching Veronika to sign "coffee" and today she signed "coffee" to Kelly. Then I asked Veronika if there was anything else she wanted, and she signed "Biscuit". That was our new sign she learnt last week. So coffee and a biscuit it was to be......but instead she had to settle for babycino and date scone!

I was so proud that Veronika is learning more signs now, and it isn't taking as many times of me doing them over and over again before she is attempting to do them. She is of course slightly adapting them to make them easier for her as her left arm and hand is her side effected by her cerebral palsy. Last week Veronika also learnt to sign "play" and "Willow"(Veronika's Best Friend). Now Veronika gets very excited when I tell her we are going to play with Willow and at tea she told Daddy, she went to 'play' with 'Willow' today. I feel like Veronika is signing in sentences, I do know its 2 words, but to me, her proud Mummy, Veronika IS signing in sentences!!!

1 comment:

  1. aww another proud mummy moment.. and for us parents of children with additional needs these moments are all that more precious!!

    Well done Veronika!!

    ReplyDelete