When your baby is 1 week old, and she has her 1st MRI and the results aren’t what you thought you would ever hear, let alone something you never want to hear……Veronika has an injury to her brain from the bleed she had before she was born, and we believe that it will affect her movement down the left side of her body, and she will most likely never walk….

I guess at that point in you make a decision, one of two possible options i guess. You either think ‘oh well, if that’s how its gonna be, why bother,’ OR ‘Yes she will walk, and we will come back in when she does and say I TOLD YOU SO’.

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Childcare


Last week I took Veronika to the Childcare centre she is going to start at in a couple of weeks. She was so excited when we pulled into the car park. We have been there a few times in the last couple of months to pickup forms, drop forms in etc, and Jakob my middle child went there for almost 3 years, so I think Veronika might of even remembered when we used to go there every week to drop Jakob off or collect him.

So we pull into the car park, and as I unload the walking frame out of the back of the car Veronika is getting impatient…..I get her out and stand her in the walking frame, and then put her sun hat into the basket we have put on the back of it. I said to her to wait, while I get her lunch bag.
Patience is not Veronika’s strongest attribute……
I grab her lunch bag, and go to close the boot, as Veronika races across the car park to the gate, as fast as I have ever seen her go in her walking frame, her tiny legs could hardly keep up as her upper body was leaning so far forward. I was sure she was going to end up on the ground in the car park, as this was the first time she had taken off without me either holding onto the back of her walking frame or standing in front of her ready to catch her….but no, she got to the gate and gave me the old ‘hurry up and open the gate’ look.

I open the gate, and Veronika went thru, and continued towards the door of the childcare building, going as fast as she possibly could, the furthest she has ever been in her walking frame. She was going great, until she reached the incline up to the front door. This is where I had to hold the back of the frame, and encourage her to continue. She of course being the determined girl she is, didn’t need much encouragement, or maybe it was the fact that Pauline(one of the ladies that works there, who was so excited when I told her recently Veronika was going to start there soon), had seen Veronika coming and was standing at the top of the ramp cheering for Veronika……which in turn 4-5 boys who were inside came out to see what Pauline was making so much noise about!
Veronika made it up the ramp, with minimal assistance(I was extremely proud) and inside the door. We were there……she sat down out of her walking frame, pretty much exhausted, and went over to where some girls were playing with puzzles.

Soon after that it was time for outside play, so off outside we went…..Veronika had a lovely time climbing up onto the play equipment and going down the slide, head first of course!
That was until she saw the water play…..and well lets just say after Pauline put more water in it for Veronika, she managed to saturate at least 3 others as well as herself!
It was then time to go inside, and get dry clothes before mat time….during mat time, Veronika and I showed everyone some basic signs that Veronika uses the most to communicate. She then had morning tea, and after that we went. It was all in all a great orientation. All the staff are lovely and were full of questions about what they will need to do for Veronika while she is in their care. I know that when she starts (hopefully at the end of this week), she will be fine….I on the other hand…..

No comments:

Post a Comment