When your baby is 1 week old, and she has her 1st MRI and the results aren’t what you thought you would ever hear, let alone something you never want to hear……Veronika has an injury to her brain from the bleed she had before she was born, and we believe that it will affect her movement down the left side of her body, and she will most likely never walk….

I guess at that point in you make a decision, one of two possible options i guess. You either think ‘oh well, if that’s how its gonna be, why bother,’ OR ‘Yes she will walk, and we will come back in when she does and say I TOLD YOU SO’.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

What a week....

This past week is one I will never forget. Monday I actually had half a day at home and one of my best friends Karina came over. Her hubby was unwell, and was at home resting and her 2 youngest children were asleep(they are 1 and 2), so she called and came over for a couple of hours. Veronika was also asleep, so we actually got to have 2 hot coffees each over a lovely chat. We talked about many, many things as we weren't distracted by our children.......later that afternoon I took my boys to the Doctors for their Flu vaccinations, and later on I managed to hurt my back lifting Veronika. I thought "I will be right in the morning after a good night sleep"......well the next morning I wondered how I was going to get out of bed! So my Hubby took the day off work and took me to the Doctor, who said rest up and don't lift Veronika for a few days! Marcus took Tuesday and Wednesday days off work to drive, and carry Veronika around to her appointments for me.

Then Wednesday afternoon when we got in there was a message on the machine to call Mark(Karina's Hubby)......so I called her mobile....and was told the news that Karina had passed away during the night.....shocked, stunned, speechless, devastated......there are no words to describe that moment.....one of my closest and best friends gone. Karina loved life, her family and her friends. She was so supportive of my journey with Veronika, she was learning the signs Veronika uses, so she could communicate with her. Karina was my hospital buddy. Whenever Veronika was sick and we had to do the dash to hospital(was every 4 weeks or so last winter), Karina would always drive me, because of Veronika's heart we had to have 2 adults in the car, and quite often it was at night when our boys were asleep. And when Karina needed to do the dash with Amber, her youngest who had a lot of respiratory infections too last winter, I would drive her. We spent many hours over the last year 18 months in the emergency department. We always had something to talk about, we talked about our hopes and dreams for the future, as well as our fears. Karina was passionate about helping Veronika Walk and I know that when Veronika does, Karina will be smiling down on her, clapping and cheering.....

We finished the week on a positive note. The Easter raffle that Liz organised was drawn on Friday by Veronika's Nanna, my Mum, Anne. I cant remember the winners name, but will let you know when Liz returns from her trip away.....but there is 1 happy person with a basket full of chocolate. Thanks Liz for supporting Veronika Will Walk.


And for Veronika's big achievement of the week, "MUM". Veronika has mastered the best word in the world, Mum. She is using it with purpose to get my attention. One day this week she was watching her Signing DVD and when it finished, I heard, Mum, and when I looked over at her, she was pointing at the TV and signing "more". How could I not put another signing DVD on after that, so cute.....

Early learning this week was all about green sheep, the book of the day. The children decorated Green Sheep

And also played with Green gooey slimy stuff....................

No comments:

Post a Comment