When your baby is 1 week old, and she has her 1st MRI and the results aren’t what you thought you would ever hear, let alone something you never want to hear……Veronika has an injury to her brain from the bleed she had before she was born, and we believe that it will affect her movement down the left side of her body, and she will most likely never walk….

I guess at that point in you make a decision, one of two possible options i guess. You either think ‘oh well, if that’s how its gonna be, why bother,’ OR ‘Yes she will walk, and we will come back in when she does and say I TOLD YOU SO’.

Monday, August 29, 2011

My 1st Time at Public Speaking...

I survived.....my 1st attempt at public speaking about my journey with Veronika, and specifically my MumSense(intuition). Well at least I think I survived......

I presented at the Mother's of Preschoolers(MOPS) leaders conference on Friday night. This is where the theme for MOPS 2012 was revealed. MumSense
Mum Intuition + Common Sense = MumSense
This has been broken into 3 parts, and I was sharing about Discovering My MumSense. It was challenging, and yes I was emotional at the beginning, as I was about to share some personal "stuff". But then i remembered to Breath, and off I went.

Throughout my last pregnancy with my daughter, I always had a feeling somethings wasn’t “quite right”. I wasn’t really sure what, I just felt as if something wasn’t quite right.

April 28th 2008, the day my whole world changed.......

It wasn't long after this I looked around at the people listening to my journey, and wow, there were some tears. Yes my Mum always taught me that it isn't nice to make people cry, but in this instance it was different, I guess I knew at that point, what I was sharing was having an impact. 

At the same time I was also overcoming another fear....my fear of leaving Veronika over night and going up the other end of the state. I did of course have my back up safe plan, my just in case Veronika was to become sick and I needed to get home fast. I declined the offer to get a ride up there with someone else, just in case I needed to get home. I didn't need to dash home. So YEAH for me! And the bonus of this all was that I got to drive from one end of the state to the other all by myself and  I had on the music I wanted to listen too!

Yesterday I overcame another fear. The fear of taking Veronika to a public pool, that isn't heated as much as she is used to. We haven't taken her to a public pool for a while, as she tends to go blue quite fast. So after talking with one of the pool staff at the rehab pool we go to, I decided that Veronika would be wearing a wetsuit in the water. So when we got there, I explained to them that Veronika has multiple disabilities including a congenital heart defect and that she would be wearing a wetsuit in the water, to help her not go blue as fast. The lady looked at me, and she said that was fine, and just make sure I let the life guard know. Well that was a lot easier than i thought!

For something completely different, Veronika has learnt to sign 'good'. When we went to the rehab pool last week that we go to every week, Kathy who works there, asked her "how are you today girlfriend"(the question she asks her every time we go), and Veronika signed 'good' without any prompting. She had never signed it before, and its so cute how she does. It's just the basic 'thumb up, with closed fist', but the smile on her face while she signs she is good is just priceless.
 

1 comment:

  1. *claps*
    And I'm sure you would have done a superb job with your public speaking Kylee! What a massive amount of big things you've done in a short amount of time...well done (and well done to Miss V for the new sign - that's awesome! - photo?)
    Trine xx

    ReplyDelete